Posted by PromiseOne Bank in News
PromiseOne Bank cares about protecting yourself, your loved ones and your finances during this busy holiday season. Here are some tips to keep yourself, your money, and your identity safe during the hustle and bustle of the season.
Beware of Scams
‘Tis the season for scams. Email scams asking for account information and passwords increase this time of year, as do robocalls with a voice telling you they are from a reputable business such as “Visa Services” or “Amazon”.
No reputable retailer or financial institution will ever call you and ask for your personal information. These scams may come in the form of phone calls, text messages and emails. Make sure to hang up the phone calls, and delete unsolicited text messages and emails. If you are concerned, you can call the business back using the phone number provided from their website.
Do Not Shop Online Using Public Wi-Fi
Utilizing public WiFi is not a safe method when shopping online. To protect yourself, make all online purchases from your home or turn off public Wi-Fi and use data instead. Entering your credit card number or other sensitive bank account information makes you much more susceptible to fraud when using an unsecured network.
Carrying Cash or Making Large Cash Transactions
Always be aware of your surroundings when you plan to carry large amounts of cash on your person. This includes when you make a large cash deposit or withdraw cash from a teller window or ATM. PromiseOne Bank has security guards in all branch locations for your safety. If withdrawing from an ATM be sure to try to do so in the day time and be aware of your surroundings, including when entering your PIN information.
Personal Safety Tips for this Holiday Season
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry while out casually shopping.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Keep cash in your front pocket.
- If your debit or credit card is lost or stolen, contact your financial institution right away.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reasons. At this time of year, “con artists” may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings. Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Be extra prudent to lock your doors and windows when you leave your house or at night.
Stay safe, be well, and happy holiday from everyone at PromiseOne Bank.